Frequently Asked Questions

When are Intervention Fees due?

Fees are due on or before the 1st day of the month.

When is an Intervention Fee payment considered late?

Fees are considered late when received after the 15th day of the month.

Will a late notice be mailed out if a payment is not received by the 15th day of the month?

Yes. A monthly late payment notice is automatically generated and mailed to the offender if the offender owes more than $10.00 to the Department.

How often is account balance information updated?

Account balance information is updated nightly. A payment made today will be posted for inquiry the next day.

What is the website address to pay online?

Is there a way to get a refund?

Yes. A refund request can only be generated by Probation and Parole after the request is researched and approved.

Can payments be made in advance?


Will discharged offenders be able to access the IVR System, Kiosk and website for account inquiry information?

Yes. Discharged offenders will be able to access the IVR system, Website, and Kiosk for account inquiry information by using their PIN (last four digits of their SSN) for up to one year AFTER their discharge date.

Are family and friends able to inquire about balance or payment information?

No. Only the offender is authorized to receive this information using a PIN.

Can family and friends make a payment for an offender?

Yes. Any individual can make a payment towards an offender's account using the offender's DOC ID number.

What address is entered when paying by credit card?

The billing address of the card being used.

What number do I call if there is a discrepancy on my account?

1-855-362-4333 (1-855-DOC-IFEE)

What are the four payment options?

Where are the Kiosks located?

Kiosks are located at the following places for convenience:

What type of supervision fees can be viewed from the website or kiosk?

What type of supervision fees can a payment be applied to?

Your payment will be applied to your current intervention fees first and then any past debt you owe the department if applicable.

What is the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System?

The IVR allows you to make a payment or check on account information by using the telephone.

How do I access the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System?

You access the IVR system by calling 1-855-DOC-IFEE (1-855-362-4333)

What does the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System offer?

Make a PAYMENT for current or past due supervision fees Check on PAST:

Check on a deposit made to an incarcerated offender's account. Check on CURRENT Intervention Fee account information

What forms of payment are acceptable with a payment voucher?

Can cash be sent in with a payment voucher?

No. Cash should NEVER be sent in with the payment voucher!! Only money orders or cashiers checks can be mailed in with the payment voucher.

Who is the money order/cashiers check made out to?

Money order/cashiers checks are to be made out to the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Where do I mail the money order/cashiers check and payment voucher?

Department of CorrectionsAttention: Offender Financial Services
PO Box 1848
Jefferson City, MO 65102

What happens if a DOC ID number is not included on the payment voucher?

Payment vouchers without the DOC ID number will be returned to the sender.

Where can I get more payment vouchers?

Request vouchers from a Probation and Parole Office or click on the icon below to print your own vouchers.
Payment Voucher